Monday, November 2, 2009

A ferry to Hong Kong


I've visited Hong Kong many times before but never on a backpack budget (I'd be with family and stay at hotels). Never did I think that Hong Kong was "backpack friendly" till I stayed at a hostel at the Chungking Mansions at Nathan Road. The place isn't for the faint hearted (a bit cramp and crowded) but it suits me just fine! I found a hostel maintained by a friendly Filipina who kept the hostel real clean and safe - that's all I ask for!

You can see from my drawing that there isn't much of a view from my hostel window and there isn't much space either - but I'm out most of the day anyways and so this doesn't bother me one little bit. Whenever I go overseas, there is something I always do (aside from sketching) - i wake up in the middle of the night and look through my window. I look at the road, look at what other people are doing, it's real interesting to me. My Hong Kong window was a whole stack of windows, clothes lines and air conditioners: fascinating!

Hong Kong is completely modern with all of the shopping, all of the contemporary architecture and it's busy busy busy. Not much drawing for me but I've always loved Hong Kong and it's vibrancy.

No comments: